So here’s my ‘sorry I’ve been MIA’ spiel: This summer was BUSY!!! Between a long distance relationship & regular weekend trips to NYC, to New England in July, then Chicago, then Los Angeles, and work and friends and taking any free time I had to be as lazy as possible and binge watch The West Wing & The Great British Baking show, I’ve been a little neglectful of The Anti Al Dente. SORRRRYYYYY. (Sidenote: can we talk about how Youtube legend Old Greg is a host on The Great British Baking Show and he is a goddamn angel?)
Here I am to make it up to ya on this second here day of fall with a dope fall recipe!
Let me just get this out of the way so you can get over it: I don’t like pumpkin. If you like pumpkin, that’s great! While I think the marketing hype around pumpkin spice has gone WAY TOO FAR (did we really need pumpkin spice cough drops?), I am not here to shame you for your love of pumpkin spice everything. However, you won’t find much of that here this season. You will find apple things though. I love an apple pie. And don’t even get me started on apple cider doughnuts. Are you serious?
So, an apple cake was fitting for the first day of fall. This cake is like a cross between coffee cake and apple pie. Like, 70% coffee cake, 30% apple pie. Suitable for breakfast OR dessert. Or both? Live your life. It’s moist (sorry if you’re anti that word, it’s just accurate here), sweet, tart, and that streusel topping is a SNACK.
Here’s the recipe:
For the cake –
- 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 6oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 3 cups apples (I used golden delicious – use something in between sweet & tart)
For the streusel –
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add parchment paper to the bottom of a 8 inch cake pan and grease the sides.
- Add sugar, butter, vanilla, & cream cheese to a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed for 4 minutes until light and smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing each at low-medium speed until combined
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, & salt. Slowly add flour mixture to the sugar mixture on medium speed until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, add 2 tbsp sugar & cinnamon to the apples & combine.
- For the streusel: Add all ingredients together until crumbly. Add more flour if the butter is too soft or isn’t crumbly enough. Move to refrigerator.
- Fold apple mixture into the batter until evenly distributed. Add batter to the cake pan. Bake 45 minutes. Take out of the oven and sprinkle the streusel topping all over. Bake another 45 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from the pan. (Or don’t remove from the pan and dig right on in there)
This cake is GOOOOOOD. It’s not light. Or healthy. But it’s the perfect transition into fall. It’s not overwhelmingly spiced but still has the warmth of cinnamon and a tiny bit of allspice.
Look at that streusel. It comes out of the oven crispy & crunchy, but after a day gets lovely and soft. Normally when things change texture it’s weird but streusel be real versatile like that. 10/10 put streusel on everything!
If you wanted to warm this up and throw some vanilla ice cream on it, I would support you.
Anyways, happy fall! Or autumn. I feel pretentious saying autumn but apparently the British judge Americans for their use of the word fall so now I just don’t know. Say feels right in your heart.